Metropolitan Fire Brigade, The Burnley Complex
Following a successful design competition, Spowers were appointed to design the office and training development centre for the MFESB in Burnley.
The facility includes new training simulations, flexible use office and administration space, indoor and outdoor teaching facilities, a library, gym and amenities.
The scope included all external building works including curtain wall and facade works and an allowance for future expansion. Interior design works also included coordination of all FF&E requirements.
This innovative 5-Star Green Star facility is the outcome of an integrated design process with close collaboration of consultants and users. The centre has been taken up by Sustainability Victoria as an Exemplary Case Study.
Certified 5 Green Star, Office Design V.2
- Designed to 5 Star Green Star (Office v.1)
- Passive air-conditioning.
- Extensive use of natural light.
- Mixed mode natural ventilation using hollow care slab.
- Passive design principles to reduce solar gases in summer and maximise solar gases in winter.
- Efficient lighting system using TS luminaries.
- BAS system motion defectors and cut-off switches to ensure lighting only used when required.
- Insulated glazing thermally broken facade.